For example, if a company were formed in January 2014, the accounting reference date would be 31/01 (the date automatically falls on the last day of the month that the company was formed in) – the first set of accounts should then cover from the company formation date up to 31/01/15. The following set of accounts should cover from 31/01/15 up to 31/01/16 and so on.
Can I change the Accounting Reference Date?
Yes, but with restrictions:
- You can’t change a period for which accounts are already overdue
- You can’t extend a period beyond 18 months unless the company is in administration
- You can’t change the period more than once in five years
If you formed your company with us, you can use our system to change the accounting reference date:
- Login to your Companies Made Simple account
- Select “My Companies” and click on the relevant company name
- Select “Change Date” next to “Accounting Reference Date”
- Enter the necessary information and then select “Send” – the request is then sent to Companies House who normally respond within 3 working hours (we’ll email when this happens)
Do you have any questions? Leave a comment and we will be in touch.
If you found this post helpful – subscribe to our blog now.