Last updated Mar 22, 2024 and written by Tom Richardson

What if a Shareholder changes their name?

The process for changing a shareholder’s name (in instances such as marriage) with Companies House is different from that of changing a director or secretary name.

To notify Companies House of a shareholder’s new name an annual return needs to be filed with the new information included in the shareholder section. It is up to you whether you file an early annual return or wait until the annual return is due. Companies House will not get involved in share certificates; therefore it’s the responsibility of the company to make sure new share certificates are issued.