Last updated Mar 19, 2024 and written by Tom Richardson

I Want To Change My Shareholder

Here's How to Change Your Limited Company's Shareholder.

Unfortunately changing a shareholder in a UK limited company is not as simple as changing a company director. This is because shares are involved. Here’s what you need to do to change a shareholder:

Complete the J30 stock transfer form

Changing a shareholder from one person to another means that shares are moving from one person to another. The J30 stock transfer form is the document that details this movement. The document requires the following information:

• Company name
• Number, value and type of shares being moved
• Name, address and signature of the person transferring the shares
• Name, address and signature of the person receiving the shares
• Date of transfer

Once complete the document should be kept by the person receiving the shares as a receipt. A copy should also be kept for the company records.

Letting Companies House know about the change

The J30 form is not a Companies House form and so should not be filed with them. Companies House are not notified, and don’t need to be notified, until an annual return is filed. When you do file an annual return, simply detail the shareholding change in the shareholding section.

Note to our company formation customers

If your company is on our company admin system (or similar software), shareholder information will not change until an annual return has been filed and accepted by Companies House. Once accepted select the “Sync data with Companies House” link at the top of the page – the new information should then be reflected.

I hope you found this post useful. If you have any questions please get in touch via the below comments section.