Last updated Mar 21, 2024 and written by Tom Richardson

How does a Limited Company get a Unique Tax Reference?

Once a limited company has been formed, Companies House will notify HMRC of the company’s incorporation. Roughly three weeks after the formation HMRC will mail a letter to the registered office explaining what the company needs to do next, in this letter you will find the “Unique Tax Reference” or “UTR”. If you do not receive this letter simply contact your local tax office and request that they resend it.